Sunday, February 24, 2013

CARE VERSUS MONEY

Well I have been thinking about this post for some time.  I had a few people contact me about the procedure, where I had it done, how much it cost etc. etc.   When I tell people how much I had to pay, they are taken aback. " Wow that is expensive, if you have it in Mexico isn't it cheaper?"  This line really gets me, why, because YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

This procedure is not about money, this is about your health!  This is a major surgery, you are having most of a beneficial organ taken out of your body.  Do you want just anybody doing it? Do you want the procedure to be done in a clinic or a hospital?  Do you want round the clock monitoring or to be sent home within a few days of having your procedure? So many things could happen and if you are by yourself, you don't know what is normal feeling or what isn't.  What if you are staying in a hotel by yourself?  As I have said in one of my previous posts, I don't know how anybody could do this on their own!!

Now there are many that I have read about or heard about that have done just that and I guess they seem to be fine, but I bet they could have cut down the stress and uncertainty if they were with others that had it done at the same time and were monitored continually.   

I went through a company here in LLoydminster called Beat the Odds. The owner Pam relayed to me that she wanted to provide the best care she could for her clients and that her experiences of going through the procedure in Tijuana, would not be repeated in her company. I can attest that her and her company has exceeded my expectations!

The care that the 5 of us received was more than exceptional, right from the minute of arriving in Puerto Vallarta to the very last minute we left! Firstly we had a facilitor with us pretty much every minute we were there. She was with us at the hospital, when the doctor was seeing all of us, when it was our turn to go to the operating room and when we came out of the operating room. All three days we were in hospital   We all stayed together in a condo for the remaining five days we were there. Facilitator stayed there as well in cause there was any problems and to just keep us company.  This is where it was nice to have others that had gone through what you were going through.  We could tell each other what we were feeling and find out if it was normal or not.  We could talk about how we felt emotionally and bat ideas around with each other.   

The doctor, Dr. Jose Antonio Castaneda Cruz was amazing.  Explained to each one of us before we went down to surgery what he was going to do in the OR, asked if we had questions or concerns and genuinely cared about our feelings.  He would check in with us each day at the hospital and when we were at the condo, called everyday to see how we all were doing.  If there was anything he didn't feel right about he would bring us back to the hospital to see us again to make sure we were all doing well before going home. (most of us are friends with him on Facebook ).  He also comes to the Beat the Odds Christmas party every year. :)  

Pam made sure that we all had rides to the hospital and back, she had wheelchairs for us at the airport there and back, hotel the night before we left and that we had time for site seeing the day before we left.    If we needed anything we got it.    

So did I pay a lot of money, yes I did.  Did I get what I paid for? YOU BET I DID!!    

IF you are thinking about getting this surgery done out of country, please think about your health and the care you will receive.  |Not about how cheap you can get it done for, it could make all the difference in the world!    

Till next time.   Ange


No comments:

Post a Comment