Saturday, March 9, 2013

TWO MONTHS OUT






Well it has been two months since my vertical sleeve gastrectomy.  I am down 41 lbs so far.  I must say that these last two months were not easy!  I have had such a sensitive little sleeve that it has been a struggle trying to find something that I could eat without feeling swollen, full and ready to throw up most of the time.

I was eating a lot of dairy products and all meats mixed with veggies etc or else was eating too fast and too big of bites.  None of it was doing my little sleeve any good.  So I decided one day after suffering for about 4 of 7 days of the week that I had had enough and stopped everything I had been eating, stopped all my medications (except for the regular ones I had been taking before surgery) stopped drinking tap and water from a water cooler; and decided that I would introduce one new food at a time.    That started to do the trick.  I still had a problem with the eating too fast, not stopping after the first couple of bites and waiting to see how my sleeve handled it before I went on.   I drank only Evian or Dasani bottle water and not much of that as I don't like water much anymore.  That is all I used to drink before.  Now I can barely get a bottle down in a day.  I drink juice a little more but only can take so much of that sweet taste as well.  A lot of things taste different to me now.  I end up with a chemically bitter taste in my mouth a lot of the time.  

I am seeing an awesome dietitian who is helping me get what I need in right now as I barely have been getting in 500 cal a day.  I have a bowel movement about every 2.5-3 weeks and urination is maybe 3-4 times a day from the time I get up to the time I go to bed and is very orangy/brown in color.   So I will be working on getting more protein and fiber in the next couple of weeks.

I will also be working with a psychologist in LLoydminster who has created a program to work with bariatric surgery patients and people who have lost a lot of weight.   My homework for the next week is to write down every emotion I connect with food.   These emotions can then be disconnected from food.  Hopefully this will work as I have many triggers with food.  Some of my strong emotions to food are happiness, boredom, its something to do,  enjoyment.  

My head hunger kicked in the other day when I went to a Farmer's Market.  To me this is where you go to buy home-made goodies.   Very tempting for me.   So yes I had to buy some cinnamon thingys knowing full well that I could only have a tiny bite.   As soon as I had that one bite I was done for,  I so badly wanted the whole thing but new I couldn't eat that much.  But my head would not quit telling me that I absolutely had to have it.  I almost went bonky trying not to eat that much.  I ended up having 3 small bites and the third bite was almost too much.  So was forced to stop.  But the rest of the night that is all I could think about.   So much to learn about getting rid of that feeling!

My little sensitive sleeve is finally not so sensitive anymore. So am having a better time eating and have started back to work working 10 hour days so that helps with the metabolism.  I can eat more when I'm at work, guess its all the moving I do there. Just need a bit more strength and energy and will be ready to tackle the gym.  I have a mental picture of what I want to look like when I'm at my goal so need to get there and get busy becoming 'The New Me"!  

Until next time.  Don't give up on your dream!!

No comments:

Post a Comment